Re: bidi embedding for block-level elements

On 03/17/2010 04:01 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jan 2010, fantasai wrote:

>>> I was thinking in terms of applying "unicode-bidi: embed" ad hoc
>>> whenever applying "display: inline" to a specific element, but
>>> applying it wholesale to all block-level elements will also work, of
>>> course.
>>
>> In that case, I suggest the we add it to the sample default style sheet
>> for HTML 4 in the CSS2.1 appendix, and recommend the HTMLWG add some
>> wording about block-level elements defining bidi embedding boundaries to
>> the HTML5 spec (and perhaps using CSS's "unicode-bidi: embed" rule as an
>> example).
>
> Can you confirm what rule should be added to the HTML5 recommended style
> rules? This is an area where this has changed a lot over time (e.g. CSS2
> used to have something like this then it was removed) so I'd like to make
> sure I get this exactly right and that everyone agrees it's the right
> thing to do.

<selector representing all HTML5 block-level elements> {
   display: block;      /* I assume you already have this somewhere */
   unicode-bidi: embed; /* This is the new rule to add. */
}

<selector representing all HTML5 list-item elements> {
   display: list-item;  /* Assumed to exist already */
   unicode-bidi: embed; /* This is the new rule to add. */
}

title, table, tbody, thead, tfoot, tr, td, th {
   unicode-bidi: embed;
}

If you're defaulting anything to "display: inline-block", then
you probably also want "unicode-bidi: embed" there, too.

~fantasai