Re: FPWD of Additional Requirements for Bidi in HTML (rename BDI by SCE)

First, a note. The name bdi was meant to stand for "bi-directional isolate".
It was not meant to be short for "bidi". I can see how this can cause
confusion, so changing the name is probably a good idea.

Maciej Stachowiak wrotes:
> I would suggest an attribute name that consists of one
> or more words. I think a three-letter acronym for a feature
> that probably won't be used that often in markup will
> confuse people when they see it.

A longer name would, of course be more descriptive. However, I do expect
this attribute to be used an awful lot by webapps, and do not want to
inflate the size of HTML files needlessly. Furthermore, currently existing
HTML attributes are generally fairly short.

Najib Tounsi writes:
> I suggest going further, in order to permit the user to
> think in term of meaning of the content [a self-contained
> entity, e.g. a title or brand name] rather than in term of
> Bidi "strangeness". Roughly speaking  'sce' should be
> to 'bdi' what <em> is to <i>.

Here, I tend to disagree. Bidi strangeness is the only reason for this
attribute. To put it another way, what practical meaning would sce have if
the bidi problem did not exist? The <em> analogy does not hold: <em>, in
principle, could mean that the text is underlined or bolded or have a yellow
background. What, besides isolating the content *directionally, *could sce
mean?

Furthermore, to declare a piece of the dom to be something, one would indeed
use not an attribute, but an element, as in fact Najib suggests. However, I
want to be able to apply the "bidi isolate" functionality to any element -
e.g. <br> as in another part of the proposal.

Thus, I want this to stay an attribute, and an alternative name that come to
my mind is dirsep. Any opinions?

Aharon