RE: Proposal to make Content-Language pragma non-conforming altogether for ISSUE-88 (mark I)

Hi Julian,

I believe that this change proposal will actually *remove* any proposed changes to the syntax of the values for the meta element with Content-Language.  (Please be sure you're looking at the right CP[1] of the several currently available.) The rules for parsing any legacy meta element for Content-Language in HTML5 will assume that it could have multiple, comma-separated values.  This is no longer a proposal to reduce the syntax to support only one language value.

What the proposal will do is greatly simplify the confusion around how to set the default language for text-processing and prevent further migration towards shoe-horning it into an alternative to the lang attribute.

I think it is reasonable for HTML to declare that it will not support the Content-Language value of http-equiv, given the alternatives.

RI

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Apr/0308

Richard Ishida
Internationalization Lead