Re: Proposal to make Content-Language pragma non-conforming altogether for ISSUE-88 (mark I)

On 29.04.2010 10:37, Richard Ishida wrote:
> Hi Julian,
>
> I believe that this change proposal will actually *remove* any proposed changes to the syntax of the values for the meta element with Content-Language.  (Please be sure you're looking at the right CP[1] of the several currently available.) The rules for parsing any legacy meta element for Content-Language in HTML5 will assume that it could have multiple, comma-separated values.  This is no longer a proposal to reduce the syntax to support only one language value.

It removes these statements, but the spec still makes this
non-conforming that it shouldn't touch. But I agree that can be
considered an orthogonal problem.

> What the proposal will do is greatly simplify the confusion around how to set the default language for text-processing and prevent further migration towards shoe-horning it into an alternative to the lang attribute.
>
> I think it is reasonable for HTML to declare that it will not support the Content-Language value of http-equiv, given the alternatives.

"not support" is different from "not keep conforming".

Best regards, Julian