RE: dir attribute in HTML 5

At 01:46 08/01/30, Richard Ishida wrote:

>If the 'presentation layer' means the CSS style sheet, I think that we
>should say that HTML5, like HTML4, should be able to render bidi text
>without a style sheet, and it would break backwards compatibility to remove
>the ability of a browser to do so without CSS. Therefore HTML5 has to
>describe the expected behavior in at least the detail of HTML4 rather than
>leave it up to the presentation layer.

Yes indeed. In contrast to HTML4, HTML5 could make this description
by referencing CSS and defining a default stylesheet fragment.
This would not mean that you have to implement CSS, just that you
have to make things behave as if you used this CSS default stylesheet
fragment. Also, HTML4 made an exception in that it said that you don't
have to support bidi rendering unless you actually render Arabic or
Hebrew. I'm not sure such an exception clause is still approprate,
but it may be a way to make the adoption of the above a bit easier.

Regards,   Martin.