Re: ACTION A-Redmond05-01: timezone health warning

Mark,

First, a slightly belated happy birthday!

Not to put too fine a point on it, but 19:32 on September 13
(anywhere in the USA, but I don't know the time zone in which you
were born) is either 10:32, 11:32, 12:32, or 13:32 on September 14 in
Tokyo.  I doubt that, if you happened to be in Tokyo this week, that
you would celebrate your birthday on September 14, even though that
would allow you to do so at exactly n years from your astronomical
birth time.  You're pretty likely, statistically speaking, to
celebrate your birthday in Tokyo on 13 September, just as you would
do if you were in San Jose, Denver, or New York.  No?

Hope this helps!
    Jim

At 9/13/2005 11:54 AM, Mark Davis wrote:

>Note: someone in IBM objected to the statement:
>
> > One application for this type of representation is for values
> that are time zone independent, representing a logical event
> divorced from a particular location on the Earth. For example, a
> person's birth date is independent of time zone.
>
>He has a certain point. My birth date is not really disconnected,
>since it is based on the time zone where I was born. For example, I
>was born at 7:32 PT on Sept 13 (and for those who like puzzles, my
>age today in hex is the transposition of my name in decimal).
>
>Should we use a different example or slightly different wording?
>
>Mark
>
>Addison Phillips wrote:
>>Dear Ashok,
>>Thanks for this update and the changes, which look fine. We took an
>>action in our meeting today to reduce the Wiki to Note format and
>>request publication as a Note ASAP. You should see the first
>>transition request next week.
>>Addison
>>Addison P. Phillips
>>Globalization Architect, Quest Software
>>Chair, W3C Internationalization Core Working Group
>>Internationalization is not a feature.
>>It is an architecture.

Jim Melton --- Editor of ISO/IEC 9075-* (SQL)     Phone: +1.801.942.0144
   Co-Chair, W3C XML Query WG; F&O (etc.) editor    Fax : +1.801.942.3345
Oracle Corporation        Oracle Email: jim dot melton at oracle dot com
1930 Viscounti Drive      Standards email: jim dot melton at acm dot org
Sandy, UT 84093-1063 USA          Personal email: jim at melton dot name
=  Facts are facts.   But any opinions expressed are the opinions      =
=  only of myself and may or may not reflect the opinions of anybody   =
=  else with whom I may or may not have discussed the issues at hand.  =