RE: concerns about hydra:mappings (ISSUE-30)

On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 11:45 PM, Ruben Verborgh wrote:
> > I'm not sure whether there's a necessity to make this explicit
> > respectively how explicit we wanna make it. We can try to define
> > the hydra:search property in a fuzzy-enough way to not run into
> > the complexities of generic> query languages. I'm don't know how
> > feasible that's it, i.e., how much we can improve the current
> > description
> >
> >   "A IRI template that can be used to query a collection"
> >
> > Do you have any ideas?
>
> Could the the following be added?
> "The items in the collection are filtered
>  on whether they have the specified values for the specific
>  properties."

Sounds like a good starting point. But as you say

> That defines hydra:search really strictly,

The word that worries me a bit is the "they". Let's say we have a collection
of actors. Each actor appeared in a couple of movies of which each has a
"blockbuster: yes/no" property. A query template like

  /actors?blockbuster={blockbuster}

to get the actors that appeared in a blockbuster wouldn't work in that case.
As there's "blockbuster" is on "Movie" and not on "Actor". Is that what we
want? Do we need to define a mechanism to describe such a use case?

> but makes it very useful.
> An alternative would be to keep hydra:search vague,
> but to define a subproperty such as hydra:propertySearch with that
> semantics.

... or to relax the definition slightly. Something like

  The items in the collection are queried by the specified
  property-value pairs.

Is that too fuzzy in your opinion?