RE: suggestion for tag set <sarcasm> </sarcasm> pair

Hi Steve and all,

Do you ask to Spanish screen readers too?

For me an inverted o reverse question  mark don’t seem a “natural” way to mark the sarcasm. So I look for in Wikipedia and found that this is very similar to the ironic mark but not to the sarcasm mark [1]:

"¡" redirects here. It is not to be confused with  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temherte_slaq> Temherte slaq.

"¿" redirects here. It is not to be confused with the  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony_mark> Irony mark (؟).

Temherte slaqî

In certain  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopic_languages> Ethiopic languages, sarcasm and unreal phrases are indicated at the end of a sentence with a sarcasm mark called temherte slaqî or temherte slaq (U+00A1) ( ¡ ), a character that looks like the  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverted_exclamation_point> inverted exclamation point.

As you can see, the sign that looks like an inverted question mark is used to indicate irony, no sarcasm.

So, I suggest use the temherte slaqî instead of the inverted question mark: ¡

Best regards,

Emmanuelle Gutiérrez y Restrepo

Patrono y Directora General

Fundación Sidar - Acceso Universal