Re: Updated index of all HTML elements

From: Jens O. Meiert <jens@meiert.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 23:16:05 +0300
To: "Jukka K. Korpela" <jukka.k.korpela@kolumbus.fi>
Cc: W3C Public HTML <public-html@w3.org>
> This is an admirable effort, but there are some errors. Regarding <b>, it’s
> definitely not “Bold text style” as per HTML5 CR (even though its definition
> for <b> is messy to put it mildly, and <b>
> *should* be defined as “bold text style” or, better, “bold font face”, but
> it isn’t, in HTML5).
>
> Similar considerations apply to <i>.

That’s true. These are actually relicts as the index is around for six
years or so (the mail relates to a major update). I’ll fix that.

By the way, if you and others would mind sending me any mistakes
directly? That makes sure I don’t miss them and at the same time we
cap the mail volume here.

> I don’t quite see the idea of including XHTML 2.0, a draft that was never
> completed. If you include it, why not HTML 3.0? It might have had more
> influence: it was never implemented, but it was cited for many years after
> its expiration. XHTML 2.0 has just been forgotten.

This has also more historic reasons than anything—XHTML 2.0 was still
being worked on when I created the index. I intend to keep it in there
for also historic reasons for now.

I’m having an eye on adding HTML 3.0 (as well as so-called 5.1).

Thanks for the feedback!

--
Jens O. Meiert
http://meiert.com/en/