Re: revisiting advice in HTML on tables used for layout

2014-01-31 16:58, Steve Faulkner wrote:
> 'SHOULD NOT This phrase, or the phrase "NOT RECOMMENDED"'
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2119.txt
>

> mean the same

Oops, sorry, forgot that.

In light of this, it puzzles me why you would use the phrase “not
recommended” in informative text. But maybe I misunderstood and you used
it just to describe what the text would explain, not meaning that those
words would be used.

In a specification (as opposite to a tutorial, textbook, or handbook),
the most important explanations are those that guide the interpretation
of the requirements. In this sense, if any informative explanation is
given, it should really discuss cases where layout tables are or may be
acceptable and deal with the issues that may arise with such cases
(rather than present arguments against cases where layout tables have
been used in an obviously problematic way). That is, it should focus on
“good” layout tables.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/