Re: Alt text should identify image class when relevant

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 10:48:18AM -0800, contact@thecodeplayground.net wrote:
> The weak point here is exactly the fact that the "title" attribute is
> not usefull for AT users, or keyboard users or touch-screen users...
> and then we have to "force" things a little bit, by using "alt" for
> other things then giving a textual alternative.
> It won't be a problem, of course, if explaining a link by the "alt"
> attribute would only help screen-reader users or users not loading
> images.

Sometimes, when a title is simply absolutely necessary, in the front-
end we'll use a span and position it offscreen and bring it back on
focus/hover. It can act like, and be styled like, a title. Unlike
title it can be made accessible to all (for touch you'd figure out
whatever it use touch interfaces normally use to give title-like
information to users... I don't use a touch screen so I don't know
what the prevaling technique is).

-Mallory