Re: revisiting heading advice

Jukka K. Korpela, Thu, 09 Jan 2014 23:21:06 +0200:
> 2014-01-09 17:58, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>> Jukka K. Korpela, Thu, 09 Jan 2014 17:04:29 +0200:

> It might make sense practically to treat
>
> <h1>...</h1>
> <h2>...</h2>
> <h4>...</h4>
>
> so that the rank 4 heading is really at level 3, on the assumption
> that such markup has been used for rendering reasons

I work on the formatting of a text book with this structure:

Chapter (H1)
 [text]
  Subheading (H2)
   [text]
    Task heading (H3)
     [text]

But quite often, the a chapter might have no subheadings, while it
still still contains tasks and task headings. In that case, I don’t
want the task headings to move up to level 2, so I still use h3. I also
don’t want any change in the table of contents, where I use different
styles for the different levels.

I don't feel that I select h3 for styling reasons though - it has to do
with semantics …

Leif Halvard Silli