Re: use of <mark> to denote notes in quoted text

Hi Jukka,

"or <blockquote> is in rendering, the default styling"

this is not the case as pointed out previously, screen readers allow
navigation and provide identification of blockquote.

>Practices differ, and if specifications described <blockquote> and <cite>
by referring to their impact on default rendering only, this would in no
way >prevent authors from using them for quotations or citations. And
"something new" would not be defined, or needed.

>From looking at usage of cite, authors use cite primarily to identify
authorship, not to render in italics.

blockquote has been abused due to its default style, which i guess is the
reason the draconion prohibition was put on it "must only include content
from another source", but this actually made it less useful for reasonable
uses (including notes/citations etc) along with quoted text.

Which is why I have proposed (in the editors draft) a relaxing of the
constraints.

Note: I have taken the liberty of paraphrasing you in an update to the
blockquote definition

"The content of a
blockquote<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/grouping-content.html#the-blockquote-element>may
be abbreviated, may have context added or may have added in-line
notes.
Any such additions or changes to quoted text must be indicated in the text
(at the text level). This may mean the use of notational conventions or
explicit remarks, such as "emphasis mine".

http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/grouping-content.html#the-blockquote-element

--

Regards

SteveF