Re: Resolving TextTrackCue issues

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 06:02:05 +0200, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:

>> I don't follow. Can you give an example of a serialized TTML document
>> entity ? I thought it was XML and not binary?
>>

> (1) it can be encoded in either UTF-8, UTF-16, or any other encoding, and
> contains its encoding declaration, so this effectively requires binary
> (octet stream) transparency;

WebVTT uses UTF-8 which can represent all characters. Surely the encoding
used is not information loss. You could store the encoding information in
the XML decl if you wanted to preserve the information, but it seems quite
useless to me.

> (2) but more problematic, it contains, even if decoded into characters,
> contains LF and CR, which aren't permitted in WebVTT metadata text;

They can be escaped with NCRs (or dropped/replaced with spaces if between
attributes, which isn't represented anyway in DOM or infoset).

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software