is it necessary to disambiguate (using markup) inline notes,citations and original markup? [was] use of <mark> to denote notes in quoted text

Have changed the subject line as i want to ask  different, but related
questions

Is it necessary to disambiguate (using markup) inline notes and citations
within quotations?

Is it necessary to disambiguate code used in quoted text from code added by
the author doing the quoting?

please read http://oli.jp/2011/blockquote/#using-footer and the following,
sections

My feeling is that the content of a quote is the text not the markup.

thoughts

--

Regards

SteveF