RE: [RESEND] suggestion: modify <small> definition

I like it, but I also think it should suggest against nesting in or around <strong> and <em>. Sort of heads off the meta discussion, which I think is a valid one.

> > On the topic of users who don't get the effect of smaller text:
> >
> > To my knowledge <small> is the same as <span> for screen reader users,
> > so in a sense they are advantaged as the visual de-emphasis is not
> > apparent
>
> Sounds discriminatory to me ;)

As far as I know, AT doesn't do anything with <small>. Should any new language describe how AT should handle it (to your point about radio "small text," have screen readers speak it more quickly, in a different tone, and with clown horns)?

Or is that outside the scope of this group/discussion?