Re: using strong to indicate a title?

Steve Faulkner, Tue, 7 May 2013 15:08:05 +0100:
> well no it {note: <small>} wasn't which is why it was binned.
>
> the circumstance is where you have a title/subtitle that you want to
> include in the 'outline' but the subtitle does not start a new
> section/subsection

Short answer:

(1) <small> should be fine, of above use case. But (2) why not simply
recommend to use <br> for this use case?

Longer answer:

I scanned the discussion last month about <small> - and I could not
find any discussion of outline there. But if the <strong> proposal
implies

   <h1>Main.</h1><p>Sub.</p>

when one doesn’t want it in the outline, but

   <h1><strong>Main.</strong> Sub.</h1>

when one does want it in the outline, then, for *that* use case,

1) it has intuitive CSS - getting the CSS right using <strong>,
   would be lots of (unintuitive) work, whereas <small> is simple
   to style, though usually not require any CSS
2) we are after demoting the subtitle part - and the role of
   <small> is to demote.
3) with regard to the outline, it has the same effect as
   <strong>.
4) the semantic change would also be more involved if we went
   for <strong>Main</strong> as it would require both a a
   a change of <hx> when <strong> is a child.

However, for the use case when the outline should contain the subtitle,
the <br/> element ought to be possible as well. Currently spec says:[1]

]]br elements must be used only for line breaks that are actually part
of the content, as in poems or addresses.[[

And it seem to me we could just add ”or subdivided headings” in the
last part, after the comma. We could the leave it up to authors to
style subtitles using the elements that suites them (even using
<small>  - if we clarifies that <small> can be used for that).

[1]
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/text-level-semantics.html#the-br-element

Leif Halvard Silli