RE: proposal to explicitly forbid <small> use as subheadings

In my opinion, not at all.

Explicitly forbidding <small> seems unnecessary to me. Just strike that prohibition and move on. That has no bearing on whether or not a <subline>-like element comes in the future.

If a <subline>-like element does come in the future, then the language can be amended.