Re: a few suggestions on marking up comments [WAS Is the current definition of the article element in HTML useful?]

I've been thinking a bit about this and am coming around to preferring the
idea of using a list, although it's more likely to be <ol> rather than <ul>
since comments are usually listed in order of when they were posted.

There's also the issue of nested lists, if the comment thread takes more of
a conversation thread layout, e.g.

<ol>
   <li>Comment 1</li>
   <li>Comment 2</li>
   <li>Comment 3
      <ol>
         <li>Comment 3 Reply 1</li>
         <li>Comment 3 Reply 2</li>
      </ol>
   </li>
   <li>Comment 4</li>
</ol>

Another thought that has occurred to me is related to the <nav> element.
Someone suggested (I can't recall where) that since <nav> often (but not
exlusively) contains a list of links, that the spec changes to allow <li>
elements to be direct children of <nav>. So if there was ever the
then the same might apply.

Just some thoughts on the matter. Do with them what you will!

Regards,

Ian

ian devlin
e: ian@iandevlin.com