Re: Polyglot Markup Formal Objection Rationale

Leif Halvard Silli writes:

> I would formally object that Polyglot Markup is changed to accept any
> encoding but UTF-8.

Obviously the above are in direct conflict, so there will be a Formal
Objection on the allowed encoding(s) regardless of anything else.

However, this seems to be a distinct matter from the existing Formal
Objection (Lachlan's existing Formal Objection seems to be predicated on
the Polyglot spec not including additional requirements not inherited
from XHTML or text/html)[*1] -- so it may still be worth adjusting which
parts of the Polyglot spec claim to be normative, to avoid the more
general 'normative' point in Lachlan's Formal Objection.

Once the Formal Objection for the encodings conflict has been resolved,
one way or the other, the more general objection about normative claims
will still need resolving, and it looks like there was a way of doing
this that nobody objected to.

[*1] Which means my attempts to avoid the Formal Objection, by finding
an outcome everybody could live with, may actually have resulted in an
increase in Formal Objections. Um, sorry about that everybody.

Cheers

Smylers
--
New series of TV puzzle show 'Only Connect' (some questions by me)
Mondays at 20:30 on BBC4, or iPlayer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/onlyconnect