Re: Polyglot Markup Formal Objection Rationale

On 2012-11-06 15:17, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
> For me to not object this, the principles would need to be extended
> with a 5th principle:
>
>    5. Limits itself to "the encoding" - that is: UTF-8.
>
> It doesn't matter to me whether you accept that principle as a "known
> exception" or as a logical reading of the specs that polyglot markup
> relies on.

The exceptions I listed are cases where the inclusion of certain markup
results in necessary, but semantically insignificant differences from
parsing, and where the markup is still conforming in both
serialisations.  Non-UTF-8 encodings are conforming in both
serialisations and there is no need for such a restriction.

I will maintain an objection to any normative definition of polyglot
markup that imposes additional restrictions on conforming markup that
are not derived directly from the conforming intersection of the HTML
and XHTML serialisations.

That is, if something is conforming in both serialisations and does not
result in a significant semantic difference in interpretation between
HTML and XML parsers, then it should be considered conforming polyglot
markup.

I have no objection, however, to strongly recommending the use of UTF-8,
as long as it is non-normative.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/