Re: Note in HTML4 spec about html5?

Good eye with finding XHTML 1.0 as the "latest version of HTML". The XHTML 1.0 specification was the original recommendation of HTML, so the URL http://www.w3.org/TR/html remains as such. I understand, as you mentioned, how that can be confusing for one searching for the latest HTML recommendation. Forwarding http://www.w3.org/TR/html to http://www.w3.org/TR/html5 would make the original XHTML 1.0 specification unaccessible, but perhaps providing a URL to the XHTML namespace would suffice. The namespace points to the major specifications relevant to HTML including the HTML5 working draft, so a browser would be able to find the latest version of HTML from there.

Jace Voracek