Re: Encrypted Media proposal: Summary of the discussion so far

On Mon, 05 Mar 2012 20:57:23 +0100, Christian Kaiser <kaiserc@google.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 08:48, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Engineers are generally unable to come up with innovative approaches
>> when their hands are tied by contracts and anti-circumvention laws.
>>

> True in some cases. They also can't innovate if the barrier to entry is
> too
> high. Lowering the barrier to entry is one of the IMHO positive side
> effects of the proposal at hand.

If we're talking about innovation within and entry to the browser market,
this doesn't make sense. The proposal at hand requires a few proprietary
and/or royalty-encumbered de facto standard CDMs to emerge, which can do
nothing but *raise* the barriers of entry. Because browsers cannot have
full control over the CDMs, it will also limit their ability to fix bugs,
optimize and to innovate -- e.g. one couldn't add brightness/contrast
controls because the video decoder output is not available.

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer