Re: Encrypted Media proposal: Summary of the discussion so far

On 3/5/2012 11:19 AM, Mark Watson wrote:

>> >  Ideally, yes.  Practically, we can't right now.  However, we can work
>> >  toward making them irrelevant, and try out best to ensure that we
>> >  don't introduce any new opportunities for them to take hold.
> So, I think this would be a very bad thing, since these have been venues for innovation in the past and it would be detrimental to progress in general to remove such venues.

Is there a technical reason why you can not use <object> to pass the CDM
information, and the <video> tag to play movie streams today? Is there a
limitation for supplying video codecs via the <object> tag?

As I've stated, I'd prefer to have a robust means of passing information
through the media subsystem, and we've sure got a lot of APIs working
towards those goals; but in the meantime, in the very near meantime,
will a hybrid solution work for <video>? HTML display has worked for
audio. I'm assuming that Pandora dropped support of the <audio> tag
because it was poorly implemented by many vendors; bugs are still
very-much around.

-Charles