Re: Encrypted Media proposal: Summary of the discussion so far

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 4, 2012, at 8:53 AM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> CDMs are not interchangeable in the sense required for this paragraph
> to make sense.  If a distributor encrypts their videos with a
> particular encryption scheme implemented only by a particular CDM
> which is strictly licensed to only certain browsers/OSes they like,
> they anyone not on their list is unable to play the video.

This is exactly why encryption should be defined by container formats, not CDMs, so that CDMs *are* interchangeable. This is how we at Netflix are able to work with multiple CDMs but one set of media files using the ISO Common Encryption standard for mp4 files. It's a principle we could require in association with this proposal.

...Mark