From: Andreas Kuckartz [mailto:A.Kuckartz@ping.de]
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2012 2:03 PM
To: Mark Watson
Cc: L. David Baron; Henri Sivonen; <public-html@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Encrypted Media proposal (was RE: ISSUE-179: av_param - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals)

On 01.03.2012 22:57, Mark Watson wrote:
> The underlying content protection systems are things like PlayReady
> (from Microsoft), Widevine (from Google) and Marlin.

I had a brief look at what Microsoft writes about PlayReady:

"Q.    How can users access PlayReady-protected content on Windows-based
PCs?
A.    Microsoft has released the PlayReady PC Software Development Kit,
which enables application developers to include support for decrypting PlayReady-protected content in their Windows-based applications.

Q.    Which operating systems support PlayReady?
A.    The PlayReady PC Software Development Kit runs on the Windows
Vista SP1 and Windows XP SP3 operating systems. The PlayReady Server Software Development Kit runs on the Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008 operating systems (only the 64-bit version of Windows Server
2008 is supported)."
http://www.microsoft.com/PlayReady/FAQ.mspx

In other words: PlayReady is not available for users of a single operating system outside the Microsoft world, in particular not for users of Linux users. Again: what a surprise!

Cheers,
Andreas