Re: Encrypted Media proposal (was RE: ISSUE-179: av_param - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals)

On 3/2/2012 12:18 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 3/2/12 3:11 PM, Mark Watson wrote:
>> That you can use the service on any device that supports it and not
>> on others is also obvious (even tautological).
>
> Why?  It's not obvious to me, and seems broken at first glance.  Why
> shouldn't any device be able to support any service, a priori?

I'd think that would defeat the purpose of trusted computing.

If a contractor is required to use a particular device; short of reverse
engineering, the purpose of a trusted service is to require secure and
accepted device in order to view confidential materials.
It's quite possible that the device would run webkit, mozilla or another
browser code base.

This proposal encourages outfits to use HTML, instead of getting stuck
in Flash/Silverlight. That's a good thing, isn't it?