Re: Encrypted Media proposal (was RE: ISSUE-179: av_param - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals)

On Mar 2, 2012, at 1:41 AM, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 11:57 PM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:
>> The underlying content protection systems are things like PlayReady (from
>> Microsoft), Widevine (from Google) and Marlin. Adobe have something, but I
>> don't know what they call it.
>
> As a co-proposer, does Microsoft plan to integrate PlayReady into IE?
> As a co-proposer, does Google plan to integrate Widevine into Chrome?
> Do the co-proposers plan to make their CDMs available to other
> browsers? Do the co-proposers plan to provide APIs that'd allow adding
> other CDMs to their browsers?
>
> Which content protection systems does Netflix target today?

We use multiple systems, including some of those mentioned above.

One of the factors driving the proposal is the fact that service providers don't easily get to dictate what content protection systems devices support (I am thinking mostly about TVs and the like here). So the idea is to make it easier for service providers to support multiple systems and therefore more devices.

...Mark