Re: ISSUE-30: longdesc "InstateLongdesc" - outlook

Maciej,

At 08:35 PM 8/12/2012 -0700, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

>The Chairs discussed this request for additional extension with the
>W3C Team. We pointed out that there was a tradeoff between
>potentially allowing more time to improve the InstateLongdesc
>proposal and the timeline for our next Last Call, as ISSUE-30 is
>part of a dependency chain that is currently our long pole for
>scheduling. W3C Management suggested that we should give the
>schedule higher priority. None of the items identified below seem
>likely to be affected by the result of ISSUE-204. And none of them
>seem likely to affect the outcome of ISSUE-30 as currently
>described. We agree with the Team's assessment and therefore stand
>by the August 17th deadline for updates.
>
>Note: if anyone were to identify a critical but fixable defect in
>the InstateLongdesc proposal, or an essential flaw, or a point that
>actually depends on the outcome of ISSUE-204, we would consider
>granting further extensions to address such an issue. But the items
>below do not seem specific enough.

My understanding from discussion with Jeff is that his suggestion
that the schedule be given higher priority was provided in the
context of an assurance that the timeline was reasonable. From
discussion with Philippe, this is likewise my understanding of your
discussion with him. These were prior to availability of the HTML
Co-Chairs' decision on Issue 204: ARIA-hidden [1]. The 204 decision
has now been available and discussed for only four days. Multiple
aspects of the decision are under dispute, and a formal objection has
already been filed. The problems anticipated in the extension request
below stand as previously described, and additional concerns have emerged.

The HTML Co-Chairs' decision attempts to assert a design change on
another W3C Working Group's specification without direct consultation
with that group, and in spite of on-survey comments that such a
change would not be feasible; that it would not produce the behavior
that the Co-Chairs appear to intend; and that it would cause harm to
existing ARIA implementations. A second formal objection, that would
be pursued via expedited appeal, is therefore under consideration on
this aspect. Due to participant unavailability plus time needed to
assess the approach, PFWG will not have time to fully consider their
approach till next week. The outcome of an appeal would have direct
bearing on the hearing of Issue 30 as the attempt to redefine
ARIA-describedby speaks to the question of whether there might be a
viable alternative to longdesc.

Some portions of on-list discussion over the past few days have been
productive with regard to clarifications and exchange of information.
One such exchange has clarified that of the "two implementations"
mentioned in the Co-Chairs' decision (perhaps a typo intended as "two
implementors"), one does not exist and is therefore unavailable to be
tested by accessibility experts. From prior communication the other
is understood to be a partial implementation, and several
uncertainities remain regarding potential capabilities of that
implementation approach. There is no way to know, apart from one of
the Co-Chairs' own assertions, that once available this
implementation could overcome possibly unremediable flaws such as the
disappearing cursor problem which would affect sighted users -- and
even if so, whether it could address all of the use cases for a
longer description mechanism for people with a variety of disabilities.

A still-unresolved question recently raised is, should the
implementation flaw regarding the disappearing cursor in ARIA-hidden
be solvable, whether it would then actually limit which longer
description use cases could be met by this approach by creating other
accessibility problems. We are not seeking to convince you of this
point in this email, but rather seeking the time with which to more
clearly explain certain requirements in the Issue 30 change proposal
vis-a-vis apparent misunderstandings and questions in the Issue 204
decision and the subsequent onlist discussion; and at the same time
to complete assessment for, and as needed preparation of, an
expedited appeal of a formal objection on the 204 decision.

As you yourself note above, Issue 30 is part of a dependency chain.
The HTML Co-Chairs have asserted for over half a year that there is a
sequential dependency between Issue 204: ARIA-hidden and Issue 30:
Longdesc. The framing of the question on 204 and now the decision on
it, rather than facilitating resolution of Issue 30, has left intact
several questions critical to the fair hearing of Issue 30. Four days
would not be reasonable to address this dependency even when not in
the middle of one of the busiest vacation periods of the year. Our
request for time to address the outcome of the 204 decision in the
Issue 30 change proposal stands.

- Judy

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2012Aug/0111.html

>On Aug 8, 2012, at 9:09 PM, Judy Brewer <jbrewer@w3.org> wrote:
>
> > Sam,
> >
> > Following up on the outlook for "InstateLongdesc," subsequent to
> the pending decision on Issue 204:
> >
> > As Janina had mentioned elsewhere in this thread,

> > ...the Text Subteam discussed the question of the Issue-30
> outlook. This was further reported and discussed in the
> accessibility Task Force meeting [1] and the HTML WG meeting [2].
> As explained in those discussions, we are requesting additional
> time beyond the August 17th proposed by the HTML Co-Chairs because:
> > - not yet having seen a decision on Issue 204, but knowing that
> there have been different perspectives on the interrelatedness of
> Issue 204 and Issue 30, we anticipate potentially needing to
> reclarify issues with regard to Issue 204 and Issue 30 relatedness
> in the Task Force-supported Issue 30 change proposal, and would
> need time to do so;
> > - In a review of recent WG discussions around mechanisms for
> longer descriptions for web users with disabilities, we note the
> need to provide an introduction clarifying requirements with regard
> to web users with disabilities and to make some evidence more
> accessible through an updated summary;
> > - Not knowing in advance when Issue 30 would be re-surveyed, it
> happens now to have landed on top of several different weeks of
> previously scheduled vacation by several people directly involved
> in the Task Force-supported change proposal. While we plan to work
> on this some during that time regardless, it will slow the review
> cycles by the Text Subteam and Task Force somewhat, for which we
> also need time.

> > Given the dependency on an unknown date (decision availability on
> Issue 204), and the overlap with scheduled vacations, we request a
> date of [Issue 204 decision availability] + 3 weeks, with the
> understanding that if we can have it ready earlier we will do so.

- Judy

> > - Judy
> >
> > [1] http://www.w3.org/2012/08/02-html-a11y-minutes.html#item03
> > [2] http://www.w3.org/2012/08/02-html-wg-minutes.html#item0

[3] HTML Co-Chairs' decision on Issue 204: ARIA-hidden