Re: New approach to HTML Media Capture

On Thu, 12 May 2011, Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:
> Le lundi 25 avril 2011 à 19:56 +0000, Ian Hickson a écrit :
> > > From the perspective of what the user is technically able to do, this
> > > feature [of distinguishing selecting a file from capturing it from a camerea]
> > > is not needed, but for a user experience that matches native
> > > apps, it is.
> >
> > That's fair enough.
> >
> > Do browsers implement anything like this yet?
>
> The Android browser does:
> http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-3.0.html
>
> Others (e.g. Mozilla) have expressed interest on it before, but I don't
> think they have implemented it yet.
>
> > What was the reasoning behind moving from a parameter to a separate
> > attribute?
>
> Some of it is documented in http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/105
>
> In particular, having to microparse the accept attribute was felt as
> cumbersome/fragile:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2010Nov/0056.html

Since the only known implementation (according to the above) uses a
parameter, it seems to me we should go with the parameter...

We can solve the "microparsing" problem by just defining it as a fixed
string, instead of requiring any parsing. Probably the simplest solution
if we do that, though, is just to list them all in the HTML spec rather
than having a separate spec just for these values.