RE: hgroup

Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> <hgroup>  is a useful element that solves a real problem (that of
> accurately marking up and styling subheadings), and I support its
> inclusion in the language.

The problem is <hgroup>  is too ambiguous and creates more problems than it solves and as such I predict it will be horribly abused.
There have been numerous posts to the group suggesting much better solutions for defining sub-headings.
I have personally been involved in those discussions and find the "armchair" comments offensive.

Even when the consensus has been high these just seem to tail off rather than being taken seriously as a replacement for <hgroup>.
Surely it would be best not to include an element where there has been such doubt voiced just because some authors have chosen to be first to market to increase sales of their books.

Once an element is "out there" I fear it will be difficult to deprecate and will inhibit the introduction of better solutions.

Regards,
Dean Leigh