Re: ISSUE-30 longdesc - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals

John Foliot writes:
> Matthew Turvey wrote:
> >
> > Since Orca and VoiceOver do not currently implement support for
> > londesc, *by default* longdesc is inaccessible on the Mac and Linux
> > platforms.
>
> This is patently false:

Indeed it is false. I suspect Matt's argument hinges on the word
"default." Because the end to end solution doesn't come with the
computer when you bring it home from the store, longdesc isn't
accessible, "by default." This quaint logic would seem to invalidate
everything humans use from hearing aids, to our university educations,
to our very clothes. After all, we don't come out of mothers wombs with
such things, "by default."

And, it would seem to invalidate Windows access to longdesc. After all,
the Windows computer from the store doesn't come with HAWS, or
Window-Eyes, or NVDA, or Zoom-Text.

However, I tsuspect the real point of Matt's quaint argument about
"default," is the specious argument that, if one is to rely on an
add-on, it may as well be the ARIA add-on. As though such add-ons were
as prevalent as JAWS, Window-Eyes, NVDA, and Firefox plugins are
prevalent for longdesc! Oh, I don't doubt we'll have such things in the
future, but we don't have them know. Chaas is correct, imho, we're
talking 5-10 years.

Which brings me to a complaint I just need to get off my chest. Where,
oh where are all these ARIA champions when the real work of integrating ARIA into
real solutions that real people can use to solve real problems is being
done? They are so eager to champion change proposals for HTML 5, but
they're MIA in the real work of mapping ARIA into HTML 5 and the real work of
developing appropriate guidance for user agents on how to support ARIA
in browsers. They want the solutions, but seem disinterested in creating
solutions.

Despite the joint HTML & PF task force on user agent implementation:

http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria-ua-task-force.html

it's been only the usual PF suspects doing the work to create real
solutions. Pardon me if I find it hard to hold any respect for such
attitudes and behaviors. And, pardon me if I have little respect for
their attendant claims of knowledge of the suitability of ARIA for this
particular purpose. Yes, I'm aware we don't appeal to authority in the
HTML-WG. But, it seems to me in this instance, we need to admit both lack of
subject competence and poor reasoning.

Janina

--

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200