Re: how HTML5 figure and figcaption should/could work

Hi leif,
in initial feedback from users it seems as if the additon of a caption role
for ficaption may not be needed as the figcaption content would be mapped as
the accessible name for the figure.

Note that in some accessibility APis there is already a caption role defined
[1], the addition of one in ARIA would be for APIs that do not have a
caption role defined.

In regards to figcaption being able to accept flow content, i don't think
this is an issue, the caption element has the same content model (with the
exception it cannot include a table) [2] and that does not cause a problem
for its use as the accessble name for a table.

regards
stevef

[1]
http://accessibility.linuxfoundation.org/a11yspecs/ia2/docs/html/_accessible_role_8idl.html#e37ff81431ee3762a5d41a2cb909108d11ca544bc937d13147ed52437e212e20