RE: Draft HTML5 licensing survey

In Sam's note, he wrote:

>We would further encourage all input to be considered, including the
>following responses, though such input may not represent consensus:
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Feb/0324.html
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Feb/0322.html
>On the last two, I'm just being careful; I don't see any reason not to
>believe that they also represent consensus, but the real goal here is to
>get the legal review started, having dealt with lawyers in the past, I'm
>confident that once it begins to digest this data these use cases will
>represent the start of the discussion and not the end.

I see language that looks like it probably represents the concern of #322, but not of #324. As it sits, I'm not sure the use cases considered even include the case of the author of a book (not for sale) excerpting from the spec, though one would presume that a court, seeing that books for sale were considered, would generally conclude that books not for sale were probably covered as well. As some have pointed out, though, relying on assumptions about how courts might act in the presence of unconsidered cases might become problematic.

Perhaps there has been discussion of this which I missed, and perhaps I am missing language in the current enumeration which specifically covers the four use cases of #324, and if so, sorry for the question.

David