Re: hgroup and ARIA outline in ISSUE-129 [Was: SSUE-129: replace or modify the ARIA section of the HTML5 spec - chnage proposal and replacement spec text]

From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 00:26:21 +0000
To: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Cc: Bruce Lawson <brucel@opera.com>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>, Cynthia Shelly <cyns@microsoft.com>, "Michael(tm) Smith" <mike@w3.org>, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 11:31 PM, Steve Faulkner
<faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:
> i quoted it in my previous email:
> "For the purposes of document summaries, outlines, and the like, the text of
> hgroup elements is defined to be the text of the highest ranked h1–h6
> element descendant of the hgroup element"
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/sections.html#the-hgroup-element

But the spec also goes on to state (next paragraph): "Other elements
of heading content in the hgroup element indicate subheadings or
subtitles."

Is your contention that this should be read as part of the previous
paragraph (i.e. "only for the purposes of document summaries,
outlines, and the like")?

> and if it is not different for the normal view, then how is the content to
> be presented to users of AT in the 5 scenarios I outlined

For screen reader users listening to an aural presentation, scenarios
1-2 /could/ be presented as per my examples earlier in the thread and
scenarios 3-5 /could/ be presented using the HTML5 outline.

Assuming the document semantics are right in the first place (big if),
it's up to UAs and ATs how they /render/ them.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis