Re: Change proposal for issue 103, was: ISSUE-103 change proposal

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 07:00:34 +0100, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
wrote:
> On 24.03.2010 04:45, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>> Julian & Philip, how confident are you that the full set of characters
>> that need escaping is U+003C, U+000D, U+000A, U+0009 and U+0020? Does &
>> need to be escaped?
>
> I'm 99% confident. Philip already pointed out one oversight, but there
> may be more. That's why we have WG to review this.
>
> An alternative point of view is: why do we introduce a new attribute
> that is so hard to get right that we don't dare ourselves to describe
> how?

It is only hard in XML and that is because XML itself is hard. For HTML it
is trivial to get right.

>> Speaking in my non-chairing capacity, I think it is better to have
>> correct advice than no advice, but worse to have incorrect advice than
>> no advice. Is there anything we can do to review what characters may be
>> special in an attribute value?
>
> Testing?
>
> How is this different from the advice for text/html? Why give advice for
> one format but not the other?

a) The dominant use will be in HTML. b) The advice for HTMl is trivial
compared with what you need to know for XML.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/