Re: Issue-9 (video-accessibility): Chairs Solicit Proposals

From: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 21:09:38 +1100
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: Matt May <mattmay@adobe.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 8:54 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:

>> However, it has to be understood that these two change proposals are
>> only a start towards media accessibility. They are the most important
>> techniques that the browser vendors will need to implement next to
>> gain basic media accessibility. There will be a need for more
>> techniques, but we will need to gain some experiences with these
>> implementations first before moving on. So, even with these two change
>> proposals coming in, I would suspect we should not close Issue-9, but
>> use it to continue monitoring progress on media accessibility
>> features.
>
> Speaking for myself and not necessarily my co-chairs (because I haven't
> asked their opinion): What I would prefer to see is that we resolve the
> issue based on some initial proposals, and then submit any proposals for
> further improvement via the bug process. If the bug process turns out to be
> insufficient for any further proposed improvements, then those specific
> improvements can be escalated to their own tracker issues.
> I do not think it is wise to continue recycling the same tracker issue for
> multiple rounds of changes. Handling things that way would lead to an issue
> that just stays open indefinitely.

OK, once we're through with this round of change proposals on this
issue, maybe the a11y TF can make an effort to register a set of bugs
that are issues that are still open for the media elements. I guess
that will also make it more concrete and is thus a good idea.

I don't mind what process we follow as long as media accessibility get
successively better, both in the spec and in browsers. :-)

Cheers,
Silvia.