Re: CfC: Adopt ISSUE-101 us-ascii-ref Change Proposal to replace ASCII reference

Julian Reschke, Wed, 16 Jun 2010 00:54:33 +0200:
> On 15.06.2010 18:14, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>> If you go back to the original thread, several alternative
>>> documents were mentioned
>>> (see<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Mar/0103.html>),
>>> which would be equally acceptable and available online.
>>
>> Julian - ECMA-006 was mentioned, are there other options you would
>> consider acceptable?
>
> I'm not aware of any besides ECMA/ISONASI, but that doesn't mean
> there aren't any.
>
> The reason a bug was raised is that RFC 1345 is unmaintained, and not
> a *definition* of US-ASCII. Just replace the citation with something
> that is.

Apart from the free, unzipped, online PDF known as ECMA-6, [1] may I
suggest the UNICODE document 'C0 Controls and Basic Latin'? [2] The
HTML5 paragraph in question only defines what an "ASCII-compatible
character encoding" is, and ends with a reference to both UNICODE and
ASCII:

|| […] the same Unicode characters as those bytes in ANSI_X3.4-1968
|| (US-ASCII). [RFC1345]

Hence, a reference to "the same Unicode characters", should be enough,
and it is a maintained specification. Btw, HTML401 doesn't contain a
single reference to any ASCII specification - it only refers to
ISO10646/UNICODE.

[1]
http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/files/ECMA-ST/Ecma-006.pdf
[2] http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0000.pdf