Re: HTML WG F2F meeting

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 6:19 PM, Ennals, Robert <robert.ennals@intel.com> wrote:
> [At the risk of bringing up an old debate]
>

> I think it depends on what you want to do at an F2F.
>
> I agree with Ian that a face to face meeting is typically a bad place to make decisions. You don't have the luxury of building up evidence and thinking about things, not everyone is there, and one can feel pressure to rush things.
>
> OTOH I think a face to face meeting can be a great way to get a better understanding of who everyone is, what their world-view is, why they think what they do, etc, which can make it easier to resolve conflicts and make decisions on the mail lists later. I find that a quick one-on-one conversation with someone can tell me much more about what their position really is than a long public email discussion.

Agreed.  Mailing lists are indeed the best way to resolve things when
everybody's familiar with each other.  FtF, though, makes it much
easier to branch out and cross group boundaries, and just get a
general feel for who other people are.  I gained enormous benefit from
meeting everyone at TPAC this last November, and talking with people
from other WGs.

I also second the idea that these meetings be focused more on
crosstalk and discussion, without any focus on decision making.

~TJ

~TJ