Re: removing the srcdoc

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 10:48 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 8:40 AM, Shelley Powers <shelley.just@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > There is a great deal of contention about the new srcdoc attribute. Do we
> > have to go through the Decision Process in order to have it removed?
> > Having to do this to reverse an edit that hasn't shown itself to be
> overly
> > popular is becoming a little tedious.
>
> The only reasoning you have provided for removing @srcdoc is that you
> think that the benefits of @sandbox aren't great enough to make it
> worth using for blog comments and similar cases where you are
> inserting content inline to your page.  Presumably the conclusion of
> this is that we thus don't need to make it easier to meet this
> use-case, and thus @srcdoc isn't needed.
>
> I think a much more prudent course of action is to first see if we can
> extend @sandbox to be more useful to this use-case.  There has been
> some discussion of this in a thread on the WHATWG list, and I've
> gathered a list of those suggestions and added a few of my own,
> including some suggestions derived from your own objections.

The use case provided has been proven both unnecessary, and the solution is
not optimum. In fact, the implication of the solution could cause harm if
people relied on it for comment security.

I'm not making a comment on sandbox, I can see the interest in this, but
seems to me the srcdoc attribute was not well thought out.

Also seems that you and Julian are having a discussion on data URLs and
perhaps this is a better option.

But that example, and frankly this entire use case, should be removed from
the document.

Shelley