Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> I haven't seen any follow-up discussion. I'm interested in hearing what
> the rest of the Working Group thinks. Does anyone strongly agree with
> Matt that the sentence he objects to should be removed? Does anyone
> strongly feel that the sentence should be retained? Does anyone have
> alternate wording to suggest that might be acceptable to everyone?

I think that its's important that we at least acknowledge the possibility
that user agents use image analysis techniques, and certainly that we
explicitly allow the use of such techniques. Even a straightforward OCR of
many images with no alternative text would dramatically improve the
accessibility of many pages.

I don't really understand what the problem with the sentence in the spec
now is. If anything, I'd say the text is a bit weak - given recent
advances in image analysis techniques (e.g. as seen in Google Goggles), we
might in fact want to consider changing the "may" to a "should". I do not
at all buy the assertion that Google is somehow uniquely positioned to
perform image analysis -- there are open source OCR packages available
that can target decade-old hardware that perform quite well.

It has been argued that this implementor-targetted sentence might in some
way counter the pages and pages of detailed author-targetted text that the
spec has encouraging, nay, requiring, that authors include alt="" text. I
do not believe this to be the case, but would be happy to include further
text in the spec admonishing thinking such thoughts.

HTH,