Re: The harm that can come if the W3C supports publication of competing specs

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 10:09 PM, Justin James <j_james@mindspring.com> wrote:
>> It is irresponsible of us to encourage the use of unreleased and
>> unstable specifications. Even ones we like.
>>
>> Shelley
>
> That creates a "first mover" problem which will render HTML 5 forever stuck
> in limbo. HTML 5 will not become a full "recommendation" without two full
> and complete implementations. Therefore, HTML 5 will never because a 100%
> "released" and stable specification without encouraging its use before it
> has achieved that status.
>
> In fact, I'd say that most specs written in the modern era are like this.
> The days of having a spec develop in a bubble with everyone waiting on its
> public, stable release are OVER. Draft-N wireless, anyone? In reality,
> plenty specifications attempt to document the "baseline" where existing
> implementations overlap to provide a common ground that new implementations
> can start from.

Implementations. Not recommending that production sites utilize the markup.

Yes, before we go to candidate recommendation, we'll need two
implementations of the specifications. But that doesn't mean that
production sites should incorporate specifications that aren't
LC--that aren't even FPWD yet.

There is a world of differences between the two.

> J.Ja

Shelley