Re: Proposal: Canvas accessibility and a media querries approach for alternative content (Action Item 6 in the HTML Accessibility Task Force)

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010, David Singer wrote:
> On Jan 13, 2010, at 18:03 , Ian Hickson wrote:

> >> I may be misunderstanding the question, and if so, I apologize.
> >>
> >> If I have some kind of scientific visualization with controls that I
> >> do in canvas, and there really isn't a way to do that without canvas
> >> (i.e. no real way to draw it), my fallback for browsers not capable
> >> of canvas may be "we regret the loss of picture", whereas my shadow
> >> for the accessible user using canvas may well be a set of controls --
> >> check-boxes ('Gravity morphing?') sliders ('Phi incursion angle!'),
> >> buttons ('fire photon torpedo!') and so on.
> >>
> >> If I am right, I would tend to ask the opposite: how can we be sure
> >> that the fallback for non-canvas-capable browsers will essentially
> >> always be the same as the shadow for canvas-capable browsers needing
> >> accessible access?
> >
> > In this scenario, how is the data made accessible to blind users?
>
> Why is the accessibility need assumed to be visual?  We have
> motor-impaired people who cannot operate a mouse, but who can interact
> with buttons/sliders etc. using, for example, voice controls.

I didn't mean to suggest that the accessibility need would always be
visual, I was just asking about how that need was met in your example.

In your scenario, it's clear that users with visual UAs are catered for,
whether they need ATs to help with poor eyesight, ATs to help with poor
motor controls, or other needs. However, it isn't clear to me how it
handles users with no sight at all.

I would expect that the answer to your original question -- how to handle
fallback for non-canvas-capable browsers -- is the same as the answer to
my question -- how to handle fallback for blind users.

If the answer is "blind users can't use the product", then the answer to
your question is likely something like:

   <canvas>
     ...controls...
   </canvas>

If the answer is that there is another page for those users, then the
answer could be:

   <canvas>
     ...controls...
   </canvas>

Since <canvas> is only usable with script, a third alternative that has
the same effect as the first above but that doesn't show the message for
users with <canvas> support, and doesn't show the controls for users
without <canvas> support, could be:

   <canvas hidden>
     ...controls...
   </canvas>
   <script>
     // if canvas is enabled and supported, remove the hidden attribute
     // from the <canvas> (and maybe add it to the <p>)
   </script>

(Alternatively, instead of relying on hidden="", the elements could be
dynamically inserted and removed from the DOM.)