From: public-html-request@w3.org [mailto:public-html-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Ian Hickson
Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 9:33 PM
To: Boris Zbarsky
Cc: public-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: <iframe doc="">

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 1/12/10 8:58 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> > Maciej, I will be adding a specification for the oft-discussed doc=""
> > attribute on<iframe>  to the HTML5 spec in the near future.
>
> So this would do exactly what src="data:..." does, pretty much?  Why is
> this feature needed, exactly?

More or less, but the escaping is more trivial, the origin is the
parent's in all cases (origin for data: is more complicated than that to
handle things like redirects, and we don't yet have consensus amongst all
the implementors and the spec about exactly what the model should be), and
we can do things like imply a <!DOCTYPE HTML> and make <title> optional,
thus forcing strict mode and not requiring quite as much boilerplate.

The escaping is the main thing, though.