Re: New split-out drafts

On Jan 9, 2010, at 6:31 AM, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:

> I also don't see much sense in the <canvas> 2d context split, in
> that it isn't really useful to any other specification and also a
> serious <canvas> implementation without the the 2d context is highly
> unlikely. Even if there would be something remotely useful with a
> split, the process overhead it adds weighs heavily against it.

The 2D context has been suggested for possible use in SVG (to allow
embedding some immediate-mode graphics in a vector image) and for use
in WebKit's CSS canvas background extension. I'm not sure if the
latter has stood the test of time, but the former seems like a
reasonable future idea, and I'm sure there are other possibilities.

> The microdata split isn't optional at this point, so I can only
> support it.
>
> (I have no opinion on postmsg because I'm not at all familiar with
> it.)

I think postMessage / channel messaging lies at about the same place
on the split vs. keep spectrum as XHR, Web Storage, and Web Workers.
Read over it and see if you agree. Based on this I think the best
venue for it may be the Web Apps WG.

Regards,
Maciej