From: public-html-a11y-request@w3.org [mailto:public-html-a11y-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Gregory J. Rosmaita
Sent: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 5:21 PMgeneral concept that
To: Denis Boudreau; HTML Accessibility Task Force
Cc: HTML WG Public List
Subject: Re: Taking another round at @summary

aloha, denis!

let me mantra-cize the following, at least as a way of giving your
post a loud plus one:

quote
Even if another mechanism was provided to replace @summary, we're still
removing something that is useful to a lot of AT users today. Why not
simply add a new mechanism and keep a new-and-improved @summary safe and
sound in HTML5?
unquote

General Statement on HTML

Even if a new mechanism is provided to replace an attribute, element or
method introduced into HTML 4.x expressly for the purposes of
accessibility, internationalization and interoperability, since that
attribute, element or method is the basis of WCAG 1.0 and the rest of the
1.0 iterations of the WAI Suite of Guidelines documents which have been,
in turn, specifically cited by legal authorities in regards requirements
for web content, the new mechanism should be introduced WITHOUT the
removal of an attribute, element or method introduced into HTML 4.x
expressly for the purposes of accessibility, internationalization and
interoperability.

that's where i stand on @summary -- @summary is a long descriptor for
that which many users obtain unconsciously through their ability
perceive the data sets, their relations to each other and their relations
to labelling sets: in other words, the "classic" gestalt view...

as i've stated before, @summary provides the same eureka moment that
most users unconsciously receive through their ability to both visually
process the information contained in a TABLE and to cognitively
associate disparate items of information with their respective headers,
sub-headers, background colors (so that a user could use an assistive
technology's ability to change, for example, voice characteristics when
the background color changes from one named color to another), etc.

therefore, there is no inherent need for the user who can perform both
tasks by herself to have a summary presented, but there is (a) a need
for the TABLE's structure and organization to be communicated to those
who are parsing the TABLE non-visually, or through a VERY small
point-of-regard and (b) no reason why a user agent, an authoring tool,
or any other program cannot provide a means to expose the content of
@summary at a user's request -- whatever form that request takes, but
there is NO usability need to provide ALL users with a summary which is
intended to provide contextual and orientational information about the
data contained in the TABLE, which the overwhelming majority of users
will provide for themselves simply through the act of perceiving and
processing the TABLE...

that's my 2 cents, american, gregory.
ADVICE, n.  The smallest common coin.
                    -- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary
             Gregory J. Rosmaita, oedipus@hicom.net