Re: Taking another round at @summary

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> On Jan 5, 2010, at 5:06 PM, John Foliot wrote:
>
>> Really? Last I checked *none* of ARIA has been incorporated into HTML5...
>> the only attributes that <table> can take (according to the current draft
>> - http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/tabular-data.html#the-table-element) are the
>> "Global Attributes" -
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/dom.html#global-attributes - and @summary.
>> Oh,
>> and I double checked at the current Editor's Draft as well -
>> http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#the-table-element - and
>> nothing
>> seems to have changed.
>
> HTML5 has incorporated all of ARIA for some time, and all aria-*
> attributes are allowed on any element, as long as they don't conflict
> with strong native semantics.
>
> Here it is in the latest Working Draft:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/embedded-content-0.html#annotations-for-assistive-technology-products
>

> Here it is in the Editor's Draft:
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#annotations-for-assistive-technology-products-aria
>

> John, I know you must be aware that ARIA is in the spec because this has
> been discussed many times at great length, on the mailing list, at the
> telecons, at TPAC, and so forth. These discussions were before, during
> and after the inclusion. I think maybe you are getting a little
> over-passionate about this issue, and as a result perhaps generating
> more heat than light in this thread. Now might be a good time to take
> some time out, and then come back later and see if you can communicate
> your points in a calm and fact-based way.

Well. John checked the definition of <table>, plus the section about
global attributes, and didn't find aria-*. So maybe there's something
that needs to be enhanced here?

With respect to the original discussion: you are right that this is a
permathread, so it would be good to have this issue resolved following
our decision policy.

Best regards, Julian