Re: looking for the use case for HTML->Atom conversion

Maciej asked:

>Would using hAtom be a viable option for you, as the second tool apparently does already?

For me yes, and this is what I'm doing/developing with my site currently.

In my opinion HTML5+hAtom satisfies the "generate an Atom feed from semantic HTML" use case, and it is not necessary to require that the HTML5 spec itself have to specify a ("complete" or otherwise) heuristic or algorithm for generating Atom.

I think it is fine (and good) for HTML5 to note which of its elements/attributes may (or even should per 2119) be used for extracting *some* Atom *semantics*, so that algorithms that make use of HTML5, e.g. as part of an HTML5+hAtom conversion, can reference and be based on those portions of the HTML5 spec.

Thanks,

Tantek

P.S. Those who are interested in the  "generate an Atom feed from semantic HTML" use-case are encouraged to provide feedback etc on the hAtom issues page and the microformats-discuss mailing list:

http://microformats.org/wiki/hatom-issues