Re: Cross posting madness must stop.

On Sep 27, 2009, at 12:35 PM, Mark S. Miller wrote:

> Comparing <https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2009-September/
> > with <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/
> 2009JulSep/> and <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Sep/
> > shows why this cross posting madness must stop. Some messages in
> this thread are only posted to one side of the W3C / ECMA divide,
> indicating that some posters only subscribe on one side. These
> posters are mutually opaque to the posters subscribing only on the
> other side of the divide, leading to a fragmented conversation. For
> example, the excellent posts by David-Sarah Hopwood <https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2009-September/author.html#9879
> > have generally gotten responses only from the ECMA side. Some
> later messages from the W3C side seem to have missed some of his
> points.
>
> Rather than create a list specific to the WebIDL->ES5 language
> bindings, I suggest an open public list for discussions likely to be
> of interest to both communities. Are there any territoriality issues
> one should be aware of before creating such a list?

Cross posting isn't great, but a brand new list will be missing many
people with an interest in the topic for a while until it ramps up. In
the meantime, I think both es-discuss and public-webapps are open for
anyone to subscribe to (public-html ironically requires more hoops,
since you have to be part of a W3C Member organization or become an
invited expert). I'm subscribed to all 3 lists so my only annoyance is
getting multiple copies of every email.

My point is this: we're having a really fruitful discussion right now,
one that was long overdue. While there are some mechanically bad
things about the way we're doing it, I'd like to avoid killing the
momentum. So let's keep talking this way, as long as we have useful
things to say, and until we can create a better mechanism.

For the slightly longer term: I think a list for general ECMA/W3C
scripting coordination is a good idea. But I'd also like that to be
the main list we use for the development of Web IDL, since any
discussion about WebIDL is likely to be of cross-functional interest.
And I don't want to make people subscribe to two new lists. Whether we
call it public-webidl or public-scripting-coordination doesn't matter
that much to me. Preference? W3C can probably set up such a list in
fairly short order, but likely not until Monday.

Regards,
Maciej