Re: Request to publish HTML+RDFa (draft 3) as FPWD

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 12:21 PM, Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com> wrote:
> Maciej,
>
> My comments below:
>
> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 19, 2009, at 12:54 AM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
>>

>>> However as far as I can see the spec doesn't actually define how to do
>>> prefix mapping in a DOM.
>>>
>>> Or am I missing something?
>>
>> You're not missing anything. It's not currently defined. This was one of
>> my points of feedback on the initial draft, which Manu believed he addressed
>> by citing section 5.4 of the XHTML+RDFa spec. But that section does not
>> define anything about pseudo-namespace syntax in HTML. It's not even the
>> section that defines the normative processing requirements for CURIE prefix
>> mappings in XML - that would be 5.5. And the rules in 5.5 do not even
>> correctly describe what should be done in XML, as explained by be here
>> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Sep/0089.html> (scroll
>> down to Manu's mention of "Section 5.5" and my reply).
>
> Obviously, we disagree.  Section 5.4 clearly indicates a normative
> requirement that prefixes are declared using the syntax as defined in the
> Namespaces in XML Recommendation.  If you don't read it that way, do you
> have a proposed change that we could fold into the errata for the RDFa
> Syntax Recommendation?

As I have pointed out, the "Namespaces in XML" recommendation [1] only
defines processing for XML documents. Which is not what we have here.
We have an HTML document or a DOM. The HTML specification defines a
mapping from a HTML document to a DOM, so specifying processing for a
DOM would be enough for defining processing for a HTML document as
well.

Put it another way. Can you point to the language that specifies how
the following HTML document should be processed:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<a rel="cc:license"
  href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/">
  Creative Commons License
</a>

Note that in the resulting document, when parsed as HTML, the <table>
element is not a parent of the <a> element. Similarly, in the
following document:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<script>
onload = function() {
  document.body.setAttribute("xmlns:cc", "http://creativecommons.org/ns#");
  document.body.setAttributeNS("http://www.w3.org/2000/xmlns/",
"xmlns:cc", "http://mynamespace.example.com/#");
}
</script>
<title>Second RDFa+HTML example</title>
</head>
<a rel="cc:license"
  href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/">
  Creative Commons License
</a>

Note, in the resulting document, after the "load" event has finished
firing, there are two different attributes with the tagName "xmlns:cc"
on the body element.

If you do think processing is defined for both these cases, can you
please point to exactly where. I.e. which paragraph or paragraphs in
which specs.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-names/

/ Jonas